Last Words


Act 5, Scene 3

Lady Montague:
Oh, my Romeo! I cannot live with my child so far away from me! I don't know how he is doing or where he is. This is so hard to live through. I don't think I'll make it. All Lord Montague has been focusing on is the feud with the Capulets. I wish they'd just end this war! Then maybe I could get a chance to talk to Prince Escalus about letting Romeo back into the city. I haven't heard a word from him or about him in almost three days now. I've laid in bed weeping all day. I don't think that I am able to convice myself to get up. I feel like my life is slowly falling apart, and I cannot stand to think about it. First a brawl breaks out in the city and we have to face Prince Escalus and be threatened with death. Then, Mercutio, a close family friend, gets killed by Tybalt, and when Romeo kills Tybalt in revenge, he gets banished. This feud has gone too far! It's not just people dying anymore, it's my own son whose life is in danger! It's all my fault. I should have found a way of getting through to him and preventing him from acting so rashly. He's so young. He has his whole life ahead of him. I cannot stand to think that he will be living it the way it is now. It breaks my heart. I am a shame as a parent. I don't want my son to grow up away from his family, pulled away from everything that he was and everything that he had. Lord Montague wants me to get out of bed and stop weeping, but I can't convince myself to do it. My life has crumbled to pieces. My Romeo has been banished and it appears to me that it doesn't really matter to my lord what his family does. I cannot stand to live this horrible life anymore! It is my wish to be taken by death.

0 comments:

Post a Comment