A Night Without Romeo



Act 2, Scene 4

Lord Montague:
Last night I heard that the Capulets hosted a party. Obviously we, the Montagues, were not invited - and I took no offense in this. I expected Romeo to be home by that time, as I wanted to try and talk to him again, but he never did come home. Neither I nor my lady were worried at all, but now it is morning, and he still has not returned home. I wonder if Benvolio or Mercutio have found him at all. I sure hope that he is not as depressed as the last time I saw him, and that Benvolio got that Rosaline girl out of his head. Perhaps those dirty Capulets did something to him last night during their party. Oh, how I hate those dirty Capulets. I am sure that Romeo will defend himself well, and I sure hope that he manages to kill one of them. I can't even sit here and think about them without flooding with anger. Lady Montague continues to tell me that I am too old to be going about with this - she acts as if it was total nonsense! I can't believe her. She's like Prince Escalus. I turned red with anger when we had to meet up with him. All he could tell us, over and over, was that this feud had been going on for too long now and he will not bear it any longer. He kept reiterating to us that it was a problem that started so long ago, that he doesn't even know what it was about, and that there was no point in fighting about it anymore. My lady sat next to me and gave me a look just as disgusting as the one on Prince Escalus's face. He then threatened to kill me and any person who was involved in any future fight, even if I didn't take part in it at all. Lady Montague then turned and looked at me as if Escalus was being reasonable, and then told me that I must make sure to control my men. If anything, I'll make sure to tell my men to kill Escalus the next time he was seen out on the streets. I left his filthy household very insulted - how dare he speak to a Lord of a stature as high as mine in such way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment